Direct Support Professional
Little Flower Children and Family Services of New York is a not-for-profit charity serving children, families, and individuals with developmental disabilities across New York City and Long Island. Our staff of over 500 people provide caring and professional services to nearly 2,000 people every year. Since 1930, Little Flower has been committed to improving the lives and well-being of those we serve by providing foster boarding home care, residential treatment care and where appropriate, adoption. Our work focuses on strengthening the family so that they can provide a safe nurturing environment for raising children and to overcome a myriad of obstacles that threaten a child’s safety.
Summary Job Description:
The Direct Support Professional (DSP) is responsible for implementing person-centered services and supports for adults with IDD residing in Little Flower’s IRA/ICF programs. The DSP is responsible for teaching and implementing the individual’s goals/valued outcomes, both in the residence and in the community. DSPs must be able and willing to teach, provide counseling, and problem solve, while fostering a nurturing, personalized and therapeutic environment. The primary responsibility of all DSPs is to ensure the individual’s overall health, safety and well-being.
- High School Diploma or Equivalent required
- Valid NYS Driver’s License
- Professionalism, integrity and excellent communications skills
- Work/life experience supporting people with IDD preferred
- As needed to perform any of the aforementioned activities, be able to ascend/descend stairs, assist individuals with feeding, bathing, dressing and/or toileting, lift at least 50 pounds, walk, crouch, bend, crawl, squat, stand, sit, etc.